Mosquitoes can be more than a nuisance. They can carry diseases such as West Nile virus, encephalitis, malaria, and Zika virus. In fact, mosquitoes are known to cause millions of deaths worldwide every year. Even pets can get fatal parasitic heartworms because of a mosquito bite.
Here are five steps you can take to minimize your exposure to mosquitoes around your home.
- Remove stagnant water. Areas of stagnant water are breeding grounds for mosquitoes. Bird baths and water left in kiddie pools, wheelbarrows, empty flowerpots, buckets or other containers will attract mosquitoes and other pests. Remove these items or store them upside down so they do not collect water.
- Mosquitoes are visual hunters so if you wear dark clothing it will make you stand out. It is best to wear light colors during mosquito season but avoid floral patterns so that you do not attract bees or wasps.
- Outdoor lighting can attract bugs, including mosquitoes. If you leave porch lights on, consider using yellow, insect-resistant light bulbs.
- Repair or replace damaged screens on doors and windows to help keep mosquitoes from getting into your home. Place weather stripping around windows and doors. It is also good to keep gutters clean so that water doesn’t get trapped by debris clogging your gutters.
- Maintain your yard by keeping vegetation trimmed away from the exterior of your home and filling in any low-lying areas on your property where water might pool. Mosquitoes feed off plant nectar so be careful when choosing which types of plants to grow near your home. Consider planting mosquito-repelling plants such as citronella.
Food, blood and water are three of a mosquito’s primary needs. Female mosquitoes need protein to create eggs. While you can reduce stagnant water to cut down on their breeding grounds, and avoid growing plants they will feed on, it is harder to remove the human and animal element—their primary sources of blood.
If you have done all these things and are still having a problem with mosquitoes, give ProForce Pest Control a call—we can help long term or do a one-time treatment for a special event. Don’t let your special occasion be cut short by pesky mosquitoes chasing you and your guests inside!
ProForce's One-Time Mosquito Control Treatment will allow you to rest easy in knowing your outdoor event will be nearly mosquito-free. Or you can go a step further and sign up for our Bi-Monthly Service or Bundled Service that includes pest control plus mosquito treatments. Our bi-monthly mosquito control plan comes with a warranty. If re-treatment is needed between our regularly scheduled service visits, we'll return to re-treat your property, free of charge! Contact us today to schedule your no-obligation inspection.